Sunday, January 22, 2012

Apples, Carrots & Zucchinis, Oh My!

I'm rather proud of myself for having packed most of my personal things - art equipment were straight forward as they normally live in a box anyway, books and documents are out of the office (and same with the shelves that house these things), and the only clothes that are not packed are the ones in the washing machine and the uniforms I'll be wearing the next few days.

So I moved to the kitchen (to do the epically piled dishes). Mr M. came to help me mid-way, which just so happened during a break in playing World of Warcraft.

In the back of my mind were the slow planning of how to consume food stuff in the fridge. I already did a stir-fry, which crossed fingers will last me 3 lunches. Searching for baking recipes that didn't involve so many eggs or the requirement of baking paper (I ran out last night), I finally typed into Google:

The first on the search result was Chef De Cuisine's Carrot Zucchini and Carrot Muffins which sounded easy enough to make.

It went something like this:

Turn the oven on. Tick. 375 degrees FAHRENHEIT, which translates to 190 degrees CELSIUS. I wish more online recipes specified.

Got all the ingredients...
I don't have oranges. I do have lemons though, I got them off the trees at work.
I don't need the bi-carb as I have self-raising flour.
I also don't have cinnamon, so the 'Mixed Spice' it was; MasterFoods does a cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg jar.

Got 3 bowls, a grater, the specified measuring cups and a chopping board. I like mixing things thoroughly so I didn't want dry lumping onto the veggie mix. I also tend to mix the wet and dry better when I do it in small compartments.

Got the dry. Tick. The first cup was the last of the refined white self-raising flour, so I was able to break open the wholemeal self-raising flour for the 2nd cup.

Grated the veggies. Tick.

Grated the lemon zest. Fail. The rind clogged up the grater, so I used juice from half that lemon instead.

Followed the rest of the recipe, non-eventful. I did grease the muffin pan with butter though, which was not mentioned.

25 minutes passed and the kitchen was smelling delicious! I also made Mr M. a cup of chai tea so I don't believe the cinnamon smell is going anywhere anytime soon.

By the time this blog was posted, I had 3. Mr M. had 1, plus his chai. I probably shouldn't have eaten such quantity, but in my own opinion, they taste damn good.

Carrot Zucchini and Carrot Muffins Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment